• An Image Slideshow
  • An Image Slideshow
You are here:      Home Various

Distances

  • Beach 1.5 km
  • Bus Stop 5 m
  • City 40 km
  • Airport 45 km
  • Port 40 km
the cave Agio galas

It is set far in the northwestern corner of the island. The village has became famous because of the old church panagia Agiogalousaina that forms the entrance of a cave where a miracle occurs once a year. A white liquid named Holy milk comes out of the rock. Excavations carried out in the two lower caves in 1938 by the British school of Archaeology and also in 2004 brought to light important information for their use.

The middle cave also contained findings of the Neolithic period like pottery, mainly bottles, stone tools, bone tools and jewelry from stone, bone or shells. Very important is the discovery of bones from bears, leopards, wild pigs and deer, animals that have disappeared from the island.

The Church of Panagia Agiogalousaina at the mouth of the cave dates to the mid-13th -14th century. Its wooden temple dates back to 1721. Buildings around the church show us its function as a Monastery. Inside the cave there is also a second church Agia Anna in the same architectural style of the previous one. The cave is open from May until the end of September, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 to 17:00. For more information please contact the ENA Chios tel 2271044830.

 
Monastery Moundon

The monastery is situated near Diefcha. It is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and it is celebrated on August 29. There aren’t any monks at the monastery these days. Although the interior of the monastery dates from the Byzantine era, It is believed to be older because of the patriarchal documents which were found and dated to the 16th century. There is evidence that it was built in 1570 by nobles who wanted to live there and was renovated in 1574 by the monk Jacomb Lagadioti. It’s a byzantine monastery with an admirable woodcut temple on which is routed the entire bible.

During the last century of Turkish occupation, the monastery was considered to be the most remarkable monument of Chios, after Nea Moni. The monastery is decorated with very nice paintings. Some of them were assigned to the Chians clergy men and painters, Emmanuel Kalaroni in 1620 and Neofilo Paradisi two years later, but never finished due to lack of finances. Also some paintings were assigned in 1730 to the painter Constantine who lived at katarraktis’ village. Unfortunately, many icons were destroyed because of the attack of the Turks in 1822 and the devastating earthquake in 1881.

The paintings which are still preserved today were painted with traditional technique and influence from the West by an anonymous artist in 1849, according to an inscription found at the main entrance of the church in the interior of the church. Very important is the scene in the left area of the southern wall with the inscription "The True Life of a Monk." The painting depicts a crucified monk with a picture of hell on the left and a drawing of the world, and death at two distinct levels on the right. In the monastery you can also find a large library of ancient papers dating back in 1462..

Source: amani.gr

 

 
The castle of Volissos

Η Βολισσός είναι χτισμένη στην πλαγιά ενός λόφου, στην κορυφή του οποίου είναι χτισμένο ένα καλοδιατηρημένο μεσαιωνικό κάστρο, το οποίο παλαιότερα προστάτευε όλη την περιοχή της Αμανής.

Είναι ένα Βυζαντινό κάστρο σε σχήμα τραπεζίου με 6 κυκλικούς πύργους, που χρονολογείται τον 11ο αιώνα. Σύμφωνα με την παράδοση το κάστρο χτίστηκε από τον Βελισσάριο ο οποίος ήταν στρατηγός του αυτοκράτορα του Βυζαντίου Ιουστινιανού. Στο εσωτερικό του υπήρχαν πολυάριθμα κτίρια, εκκλησίες και παρατηρητήρια, καθώς επίσης και μία υπόγεια στοά που ένωνε το κάστρο με την παραλία. Το κάστρο αυτό αναφέρεται από την Άννα Κομνηνού στην διάσημη «Αλεξιάδα», μία ιστορική καταγραφή της ζωής του αυτοκράτορα Αλέξιου.

Πηγή: amani.gr

 


Chios Rooms, Chios Apartments | 2013 © kapiri.gr | Powered by Ilias Benetos